In the midst of a job search, you need to choose the best ways to invest your money. On this episode I’m talking about why hiring a resume writer is NOT the best use of your money. You may be thinking, hold on...don’t you help people fix their resumes? Why would you tell us not to hire you? I think resumes are overrated and there are many other ways you can invest that will serve you better. And I’m giving you all kinds of options for where you can invest! But if you are going to hire a resume writer, I’m giving you tips on how to do that best as well!
What We’re Talking About
- Why Resumes are Overrated
- Misconceptions about Resume Writers
- Other Ways to Invest Your Money
- If You’re Hiring a Resume Writer, How to Do It Well
The Problem With Resumes
So here's my personal vendetta against resumes: people come to me and say, “Jena, I just need my resume and LinkedIn done...and I don’t know how to write my resume!” People focus on and spend way too much time on their resumes when it really only gets you in the door. It doesn’t land you the gig. Some of the main issues I see with resumes are:
- Give you a false sense of security – that if you tweak your resume, apply online, then you’re good to go – this does NOT work these days!
- Make you feel like you got something done
- They don’t get you the job
- Networking works better
- LinkedIn is more important (works for you while you sleep)
You Need the Whole Toolkit
My dad is a carpenter by trade and he's always buying me toolkits. I'm not super adept at using them, but here's what I know: you need all the tools in the toolkit. To hang a shelf, you need multiple tools, not just a hammer. To get a job, you need multiple tools, not just a resume.
The Misconceptions about Resume Writers
- They do ALL the work for you
- Expecting the writer to rewrite your history
- Be wary of quick turnaround times or crazy claims of 24x your acceptance rate
- Just relying on applying online
Where your money is better spent
- Learning how to sell yourself in an interview
- Training around networking
- LinkedIn profile review
- Career coach or Executive coach
- CRITICAL: You need to have clarity on what you want to do next before working on your resume – you need to know what you’re looking to move into. This makes the resume writing easier and much better because you can focus your resume well! Before hiring a resume writer, get a coach to help you clarify where you're headed.
- DIY template – use a template that you pay cash dollars for. Not the free ones out there! You can grab mine or the great ones at Get Landed
IF YOU ARE GOING TO hire A Resume Writer, HERE’S WHAT TO LOOK FOR:
- You know exactly what you want to do next
- If you are REALLY terrible at writing
- Look for a copywriter, not a just a resume writer
- Don’t go cheap
- THIS IS A PIECE OF MARKETING → you can’t afford not to make a good impression
- This is an investment in your career, so invest wisely
- Make sure you jive with the writer’s personality
I love this quote by Wendi Weiner - she specializes in Attorneys and senior-level executives.
Most people expect a resume writer to be just a few hundred dollars, but the reality is a well-qualified resume writer will be spending approximately 8-15+ hours on your resume re-branding and it is a very time-consuming process that is not just taking a resume and editing it. There’s a lot of fact discovery that goes into learning about the client, the client’s background, the client’s goals, and then the writing process, and strategy process to review the resume are additional time considerations.
Overall, I would recommend that you do not hire a resume writer...unless it is worth it for you and the exact move you know you’re looking to make! If so, then go all in and do it well! Make sure you do your research on who you’re investing in, that you’re excited to work with them. and you jive with them. And make sure their results are real and not over-hyped.
My recommendation is always to get the full treatment – all the nuts and bolts, all the tools in your toolkit. Not just your resume, but a rebrand of all the tools to land your dream career. If you’re in the place of needing a rebrand of your whole career (or thinking you might), that’s what I specialize in! If you’re curious about our program for this, connect with me on LinkedIn or listen to our last episode.
What was your biggest takeaway? Have you used any of these tips in your job search...or learned the hard way? Have you invested in a resume writer? Why or why not? Leave me a comment below or connect with me on LinkedIn about this!
Connect with me on LinkedIn with any thoughts or questions
Leave us a Rating or Review (easiest to do on your phone!)
Why Hiring a Resume Writer is NOT the Best Use of Your Money
February 12, 2020