One of the things I am asked most often is how to answer the question, “Tell me about yourself?” Often this is the first question asked in an interview, so you want a rock-solid answer! But sometimes it’s hard to know just what to say here. On this episode, I’m teaching you how to answer this question well, how NOT to answer it, and how to answer with confidence in a variety of situations!
What We Are Talking About
- What Not to Say
- How to Craft Your Answer
- A Case Study
What NOT to Say or Do
When we begin to think about how to answer this question, I want to first look at how to not answer it. First, how have you answered this before? Did it feel good or not? Lean into that for yourself for guidance. And then let’s make sure you aren’t doing any of these:
- Do not walk through your resume — instead, position yourself and speak about yourself in a way this potential employer cares about, which they’ve communicated in the Job Description they published!
- Stumble and act unconfident — show up confidently and know the value you bring — and if you’re struggling to do this, you may be a perfect candidate for us! Our Recruit the Employer program is a booster shot of confidence and clarity for your job search.
- Forgetting who you’re speaking to — you need to rephrase things and be agile with your answer for different people. Do not answer this the same way to a recruiter and a hiring manager and a potential same-level colleague.
- Do not speak in a lot of buzzwords
- Do not keep your answer the same forever
- Do NOT speak for ages — be short, sweet, and to the point
What to do
Now that you know what not to do, what’s a gal to do in order to be successful here? Number one, engage them in your story and where that intersects their need.
- Study the JD — print it out, highlight it, ask questions — What are the 3 main characteristics this company is looking for and how do I fit those? You’re making a company money, saving them money, or making their life easier — gear your answer toward this!!!
- Integrate things about the industry
- Drop hints of where you fit/how your experience matters here — give them a teaser but not the whole story; a big picture view — tell a bit abt who you are and what you’ve done in a larger view — integrate your story with what they’re looking for,
- Answer with Structure and Clarity – help them follow well by creating structure in your answer and making it super crystal clear
- Be confident — position yourself as a thought leader in this area when entering the interview
These tips and many more to master equip you for answering this question are part of my signature program, Recruit the Employer! Now that I’ve pulled back the curtain a bit to give you some of the secrets of how we do this within the program, are you ready to get here yourself?
Do you want to walk into your next interview assured that you have the perfect answer to the critical “tell me about yourself” question?! I can help you do that within RTE! I’d LOVE to help you craft your career narrative so that you can enter any interview with confidence and never be intimidated by this question again!
The Foolproof Way to Answer “Tell Me About Yourself”
January 29, 2020