Before we get started...
Recruit the Employer the Course IS STILL OPEN for one week! Until June 30th – then it's gone until the fall.
If you like today’s episode, you’ll love the course. We tackle how to negotiate your salary, scripts and steps to nail it, and more how-tos on the 5 things we’re covering today that you can also negotiate.
This class is for you if:
- You’ve been job searching for a while and you haven’t gotten much traction
- You’re a mid to senior level professional looking to make a strategic career move in the next 3-6 months
- You’re laid off and you want to expedite and organize your job search
- You want to feel more confident in your career
- You struggle with knowing how to sell yourself
- You want community along your career journey – our LinkedIn group is just what you’re looking for!
- You’re OVER trying to do this by yourself and realize it’s time to raise the white flag and ask for some help (Hint: There is no shame here!)
- You believe in investing in yourself, in personal development and calling in experts when you need a simplified path
Today's Episode: The 5 Things You Can Negotiate Besides Salary
We’re talking about negotiation today – specifically, 5 things you can negotiate besides your salary. For women, negotiation can be a really big struggle. It’s a newer topic we may be exploring. How do we figure out how to do it? Once we figure out how to do it, what can we negotiate besides salary?
The reality is that your salary does not have to be the only thing you negotiate in your offer package. Before you begin negotiating, you need to know what things are of highest value to you, top priority. Getting clear on these will help you know what to negotiate and how to do it well. We help you walk through this and identify what these are for you within Recruit the Employer.
This episode was inspired by a post I wrote on LinkedIn a bit ago, and so many of you gave great feedback on things you’ve negotiated for.
Please keep in mind: I want you to always negotiate your salary first! Then these 5 can also be on the table.
What We’re Talking About
- The 5 things you can negotiate besides salary
- Creative options within all 5 areas of negotiation
- How to rock your job search
You Can Negotiate for Professional Development
This is one of my favorite things people negotiate for. If you have a desire to learn more, lots of companies are willing to support you in that. Some ideas here include negotiating for funds toward:
- Professional Organizations
You Can Negotiate Relocation or Signing Bonus
It can be really expensive to move for a job! So see if there’s a way that your new company will pay for your relocation. It’s also worth looking into if your industry generally has a signing bonus. I’ve seen these be between $10K-$50K or more. Be aware of the details in your contract and your package. And know there are taxes on signing bonuses! Please make sure you talk to an employment lawyer who can help you understand the details fully.*
If you get a signing bonus, here are some ideas of how to use it:
- Do something fun with part of it to celebrate!
- Pay off debt
- Put it in an emergency fund/nest egg
- Invest your signing bonus
You Can Negotiate Stocks
This is most applicable if you are very senior level or are in on the early-stage of a company.
- When it vests
- Number of shares
- Is the company trying to go public? Be sold?
- Be careful! – especially in smaller, early-stage companies
You can Negotiate Paid Time Off (PTO)
I love the option of negotiating more PTO! Some people don’t care about more money as their most important value (or not the ultimate)...they value their time off! If this is really important to you, leverage it! This is virtually free to an employer.
I will warn you to be careful of unlimited vacation. Make sure you understand what a company means when they say this and what the culture is like around time off.
You can also negotiate for work from home options. WFH perks, especially in this covid-world, are very do-able. Don’t hesitate to own why this matters to you! Maybe it’s your kids, maybe it’s more focused work time. More and more companies are realizing this is a high value to employees.
You Can Negotiate BENEFITS
The benefits you can negotiate are far-ranging:
- 401(k) match
- Health Insurance
- Severance Package Guarantee
- Parental Leave
What matters to you? What makes a difference to you and your family? That is what you should negotiate for.
*Disclaimer here: talk to an employment lawyer about the details on any of these, because I am NOT an employment law professional. I am speaking only from my experience and those I’ve coached, but this is not legal advice. Just friend to friend!
5 Things You Can Negotiate Besides Salary
June 24, 2020